Sunday, February 14, 2010

Staring Down the Challenge of Breaking News

Sometimes you're good.  Sometimes you're lucky.  We had a combination of both Sunday afternoon when a snow squall hit the Metro (not unexpected).  Our weather team had been saying all week that there would be snow on Valentine's Day.

I was already headed to the station when Caroline Rooney called me to say that a multi-car crash on I-70 had shut down the interstate.  Could we fly the helicopter?  Of course I said yes.

My trip to 4720 Oak Street had nothing to do with severe weather.  My intention of mischief will be fodder for another day but as I headed north on I-35 shortly after 1pm, I realized the road was somewhat slick.  By the time I got to the station, Caroline was in full breaking news mode.  She had already sent a reporter/photographer and live truck to the scene.  She had called Captain Gregg Bourdon and was awaiting his decision about the safety of putting the chopper in the air.

My partners-in-crime, Booke Givens and her daughters, worked our magic on a favorite co-worker's office and Caroline worked the assignment desk. 

When I saw the chopper video feed of the chain-reaction crashes on I-70 we decided to do the unthinkable--break into the NBC matinee coverage of the Olympics.

Wanna see the video that both CNN and NBC couldn't wait to get their hands on?  Here it is.

Some background.  I always love being at the helm of breaking news when I know another station really can't break in without a great deal of angst (NCAA basketball, the Oscars, etc).

So here's karma...the angst of breaking news decision-making because it's the Olympics!

With Tom, Phil and Jennifer in the control room and Mark in front of the camera, we jumped in over a Costas studio interview.  We stayed on until we felt we had warned people of the danger and showed the amazing video from Skytracker.  We didn't miss any Olympic events and we got off the air right at 3pm.

The remainder of the afternoon coverage was breaking news alerts, streaming video on the web and crawls over programming.  Larry Seward and Beth Vaughn were live at 5pm from two of the crash scenes.


Only one person called to complain.

Whew.

KMBC broke into their afternoon movie about an hour after we did.  I didn't see anybody else jump into the fray before evening newscasts but maybe I missed something?

This afternoon's exercise was perfect for the delicate dance that is breaking news.  I think we nailed it.

1 comment:

mornings with mailer said...

I love that you're still so damn tenacious about things. Odd that a near-tragedy on a freezing day can warm the heart of a guy all the way over here in Mass. LYMI