Beginning: The day started normally. Coffee. Morning show. Newspaper. Drive to work. Then it went a bit south when Eric Maze, the assistant news director resigned. He's been tapped to be the news director at WFTX in Fort Myers, Fl. This wasn't unexpected and I'm happy for him but selfishly, I hate to see him go. Eric is a solid, smart leader. He'll be a great news director.
Middle: Lunch with a strong news manager. We met at NoRTH in Leawood (119th and Roe). They have a salad (Tutta La Casa) that is fabulous! Forty-five minutes of conversation about local news in Kansas City and then I headed back to the office. Brief meeting with the EP of special projects to tune up a special report for Friday's 6pm news. Tweaked plan to introduce new anchor Curtis Jay who joins us in mid-February.
Our afternoon editorial meeting was relatively painless although we didn't have, IMHO, any home run story ideas for the late news. I hate it when that happens.
In my haste to log-on to my computer so I could print some contracts, I accidentally re-set my password to nonsense which then could not be replicated. After numerous attempts, I called Mark Bunker (IT) and the reset included signing a Sarbanes-Oxley document! Grrr. I entered a new password with the help of the benevolent Mr. Bunker but by then I had been off-line for an HOUR! Spent the next section of the afternoon answering a handful of viewer emails. We got one today that was a doozy--the fellow had a laundry list of complaints including one about how we spent more time covering hungry puppies in Kansas than a double murder in KC. Color me confused.
End: After the post I drove a few blocks to Bluestem (Westport and Madison) to meet another potential new pal. David Jimenez is the friend of my friend Dwayne Raymond. What a delightful evening! We enjoyed some Malbec and told each other stories for three hours. I can't wait until we get together again. I've promised to take him to a Royals game. He's lived in KC for five years and hasn't been yet. I will try to teach him to love baseball--or at least to enjoy a beer and a hotdog with thousands of others.
I watched the late news on the DVR. Tomorrow starts 28 Days of February Sweep. After three decades in TV, I still get nervous about how this will all turn out.
I'm hopeful. And tired. Time to call it a Day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Now there's a coincidence for you. Another Mark Bunker working in TV news. Unless, like the new season of Lost, I am in San Diego and Kansas at the same time.
Glad to hear my Kansas self is a good guy too.
Post a Comment