Thursday, February 25, 2010

Long Beautiful Hair....



What is the big deal about hair? 

Genetics made me a blonde.  My six siblings and our mom sport hair that's various shades of yellow, thanks to our German heritage. 

Supposedly, that's a good thing but I've always felt that I had "bad hair."  Being blonde is ok, I guess but I was a permaholic for years, attempting to make my fine strands be more...full of life.  I've always wished for curls or waves or SOMETHING different.  About five years ago, I stopped getting my hair permed every six months and some days, frankly, I can't do much with my limp locks.  So now I do the best I can with a squirt of root boost or not.  I am what I am.

I know this is a big issue for some of my black friends.  Before Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair," my former co-worker Sandra Hamer wrote a book entitled "Glory, The Hair" about her encounters with a hairdresser;  it's a great read about faith, life and hair.  Rene Syler, who I worked with in Reno and was on the CBS morning show for years has documented her struggles with hair on Facebook and her blog.

I've had plenty of African-American female co-anchors talk to me about hair issues over the past thirty years and while I can't exactly understand what they go through, I know the conflict is real.

I admire women who are comfortable with the hair God gave them.  But I also understand the zeal to change it no matter what your heritage.

Seven years ago, our daughter Carly came home from Spain with a couple of dreadlocks.  She got her hair twisted into the locks on the beach and frankly, I didn't give it much thought.

A fews months later, though, she had twisted most of her long blong hair into locks and I couldn't help but complain.

"Our hair doesn't go this way" I told her.  "It's not natural."  I probably had a body wave in my own hair while I was lecturing her.

After awhile I grew used to the ropes of Carly's dreads and the attention she always drew. 

People stopped us and wanted to touch it.  Children were always especially fascinated.  Most older adults didn't like it.

I remember taking her to see "Heart" when we still lived in Memphis and we happened to be seated next to a hairdresser who was so horrified by Carly's apppearance she promised to "fix it," if she was given enough time.  She offered her services for free. 

My motherly protection mode kicked in and I thanked her politely but said I liked Carly's hair just as it was.

And I did!

Fast forward.

When we were in South Dakota at Thanksgiving, Carly announced that she had decided to cut her dreads.  For a short time, we were all going to cut one off and take it home as a souvenier...but cooler heads prevailed!

She talked to some experts and today, my daughter took a big step and combed out, then cut off the dreadlocks she's worn for the past seven years.



Isn't she lovely?

No comments: