Sunday, February 21, 2010

I'm a Believer in Miracles

I've enjoyed, so much, today's retrospectives on the 1980 Olympic hockey team.  Back then I was a much thinner, younger, cuter girl.  Not yet married, I had an apartment in Reno with my pal Cindy Scripps (yes, that Scripps) but being the South Dakota corn pone that I was, I had no idea of her heritage...or that I would eventually work (twice) for the company that bears her name.

We both worked for KTVN, the CBS affiliate, but not in news...we were in the traffic department (not that there's anything wrong with that).  Here's how I remember it--we spent our days entering endless series of numbers into a computer that would eventually spit out a log used by master control so they would know which spots to run and when.  A real fun job.  Real fun.  Now I realize how difficult it really is but back then, I was clueless.

Cindy had a white 13-inch color TV that sat on our coffee table in the living room and that's where I saw the replays of "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!"

So three decades later, how FINE is it that the USA-Canada hockey game ended with the Americans winning?

Jack Harry just called me a few minutes ago.  Apparently his email and Twitter accounts are burning up with angry folks...mad as hell because tonight's hockey game was showed on MSNBC in analog rather than on NBC in HD clarity.

Jack wanted to know how to respond...and it's not hard to figure--the shirts at NBC made this decision weeks or months ago, based on the odds...that Team USA would not prevail against the favored Canada skaters.

I told Jack to remind viewers that these decisions are not made in Kansas City.  Because sometimes, boys and girls, network executives make mistakes.

I know, I know.  The men (women?) at the top have incredible resources at their command...research, ratings, history, focus groups...but still, they stumble at times.  Those of us way, way down the food chain suffer the consequences.

No comments: