Thursday, January 28, 2010

Farewell, Good and Faithful Friend.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Dogs are the most amazing creatures;
they give unconditional love.
For me they are the role model for being alive.
Gilda Radner
No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.
Christopher Morley

You can say any foolish thing to do to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says,
"My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!"
Dave Berry
If you have a dog, you will most likely outlive it;
to get a dog is to open yourself to profound joy and,
prospectively, to equally profound sadness.
Marjorie Garber


Profound sadness is an understatement. Overwhelming, nearly debiliatating grief is what we feel now that our dog is gone.  We miss our sweet Dottie.  Her pure love for our family was such an incredible gift.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

January 25th was suppose to be a happy day. It was a celebration of Peggy's birth. Instead, it turned out to be the bad news that we were going to loose our Dottie. We dropped her off at the Vet knowing it was going to be her last trip in the car. She loved to go bye bye in the car. She laid in the back seat with me trying to get up to look out the window but she couldn't. She stayed overnight at the Vets which was very difficult for me to think her last night was spent alone with barking dogs. She was medicated and I was told comfortable. Her last day she laid on the table with her big brown eyes looking at Peggy and me. Even though she was medicated she seemed a little jumpy and nervous. I laid her head down and whispered in her ear all the things I would say to her on a daily basis. That she was the "Best doggie", the "Prettiest girl", "our Dottie Ottie is such a gooood girl". While rubbing her head the vet gave her that final shot and my Dottie just dozed off. I felt so helpless. I always was able to help her. Took her to the vet to fix the booboos, carry her up stairs, hold her up so she could eat and now I could only watch her drift off. Today I tossed all her things out. Her pillows, blankets, leash, collar, dishes. I may regret that later but I just couldn't have it around. I have miles of video of her playing with us which Im sure we all will watch and laugh. Some will say, "its just a dog" but she was family, our 3rd child. She was part of the pack.