Monday, December 14, 2009
Spinning Plates
My friend Jill Geisler writes a column for Poynter that I never miss. It always begins with "What Great Bosses Know..." and her latest advice included two hi-and-larious videos to illustrate how today's news managers often feel. If you fancy yourself a manager and you aren't geting Jill's columns, sign up today!
I'm a Boomer and I've experienced that plate-spinning feeling many times but ever since the economy went south and NBC slipped to last place I feel more like a mole-wacker. Thanks, Jay Leno.
It's not that I've crossed generations. It just seems like managing a newsroom today is so much more reactive. The plate-spinners had a little bit of a plan. They knew which plates might need a little attention. The moles are completely unpredictable and you never know when or where one will pop up.
In the past few weeks, I've accepted three resignations. Only one resignation was not a surprise. A weekend meteorologist, a morning anchor and a weekend morning anchor/MMJ. The ones departed/departing are taking challenging jobs that will be better for their respective families and maybe improve the financial situation. Money does talk. In each case, I understand completely and support the decision made by my former co-workers.
I'm still relatively new to this job...going on my eighth month here in Kansas City. I talked to a comrade last night who made some negative references to my frequent address/job changes over the past four years. Fair enough.
Tomorrow I'll be back in the office, ready to whack or spin whatever comes my way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
As someone who's been on the receiving end of similar comments, I feel for you, Peggy. I also know that each day is what you make of it, and I am glad to be refocused on making the best of it with my family, whatever comes. Keep those plates spinning and I'll bet you a buck Leno moves to 11pm (or 10:30) as a lead in to Conan by November 2010. And Merry Christmas!!
Post a Comment