After more than three decades in the news business I am still AMAZED how how sloppy some wannabes are about job seeking.
Eric Maze is the Deuce at KSHB. For the past few weeks, we've spent some hilarious moments watching resume reels (DVDs) and reading clever (and some, not so much) cover letters.
History moment. My first resume tape was on three-quarter...(sigh)
Right now, we've got five positions open: Weekend Meteorologist, Weekend Anchor, Morning Anchor, Multi-media Journalist, Photographer. Interested? Apply online (click on "careers").
But before you do, a few words of advice. All of our jobs require the ability to shoot, write and edit. If you can't do those things, don't bother. You have to understand and be competent with the difference between broadcast writing and online writing. If you send a resume and cover letter, spell my damn name right. (It's not Rick Ilar. The former ND's last name is spelled Iler. Seriously I opened one addressed that way today. And it came from an agent!)
Here are some other tips that I penned for another blog, some time ago:
Cover letters: Note to cover-letter-senders. Write this down. Have somebody look over your letter before you send it so you don't make hideous mistakes like using "of" instead of "have." As in..."I was happy to of seen the posting for a postion at your station." Spellcheck won't catch that but a friend might. Also, don't start your letter with "I'm the next (fill in the blank) at (fill in the blank). If you want to get my attention and that's VERY HARD TO DO, tell me something about yourself that you know will mean something to me. You have to do some research to find out what that is...Be curious, not pushy and you can get the info you need.
Experience: If the posting says two years experience required and you HAVE NONE, go ahead and send me a tape. I look at every one (eventually) but first I read the cover letter and resume and if you don't have ANY experience, that does affect my attitude about you. If you have between one and two years, definitely send a tape. I'll look closer at it than those who don't have any time other than internships in a newsroom. If you have more than ten years under your belt, I'll look at your tape FIRST and wonder how I got so lucky. And...If you have more than ten years experience in two-year increments in triple digit markets....maybe you're in the wrong business.
Phone calls: Call me once if you want, I answer my own phone and maybe you'll get lucky. Be ready for me to be busy because many meetings take place in my office. If you catch me, I might talk to you. I'll tell you about the hours and what I'm looking for as far as live shot experience, etc. Most of the time, I counsel the recently-graduated to look at the smaller markets around Kansas City--Springfield, Columbia, St. Joseph, Topeka. If you don't catch me, leave a message. I check voice mail regularly and if I have something to say, I'll call you back. Most of the time I won't, because I don't have anything to say. You can call more than once but know that there's a thin line between tenacity and stalking. Be careful not to push, especially if you don't have the goods.
It's all about the reseach. Look at our website, view some of the videos. Do you like what you see? Are we doing the kind of news you aspire to do? How is our writing? Are we creative? If you're not impressed, we might not be the shop for you. Life's too short folks. Find the right gig and you'll be happy a long time! Good luck on your search.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment