Yeah right.
While we don't gamble as freely as we did five years ago, we still like to give money away, for some reason. Probably because both of us have tasted small victories. A hundred here, a couple of hundred there...sometimes more. When Carly and I went to Reno to scatter Clyde's ashes, I won $800! (Thanks Clyde)
But now we always stick to our budget of losing. Once fifty bucks is gone so are we.
Dottie is now a very old doggie. (We got her as a pup in Tulsa in 1994.) She doesn't enjoy life as much as she once did. But she does like these walks (we think) and we also believe that the mile or so does her good.
When we get home, she's exhausted. She can't climb the three steps up to the front door so either John or I carry her up and then she sleeps for most of the rest of the day.
Saturday started pretty much the same way it always does. Breakfast, dog walk, grocery shopping, casino.
John's cellphone rang just as we were entering the Harrah's parking gargage. It was his brother Billy. Bill is forty-seven years old but we always refer to him in the diminutive. He's the youngest of two.
"I have bad news," he told John. I was watching John's face and I saw it screw up in sadness and confusion immediately. I knew somebody died.
John's parents are both gone. We miss them all the time. He has two aunts, one of which is in her eighties.
He turned to me and I waited for the bad news.
"Eddie Vizzo died."
Edward Vizzo was John's cousin's husband. It might seem like a distant leaf on the family tree but in John's small group, it's a big loss. Ed and his wife Rainy had two children. Jessica and Jennifer are only a few years older than our two. When Rainy's mom and dad got too old to care for themselves and Connie, their developmentally challenged daughter (who is older than John), he built a home where all could stay. He was a big hunk of the glue that held them altogether and we always said he was "a good guy." He'd give you his last nickel, if he thought you needed it. He was always kind and welcoming to me when John and I were first married. And then, when Carly and Charlie were youngsters, he looked for ways to entertain and include them.
Google him and you'll find...not much. Edward Vizzo Electric didn't have a rating with the Better Business Bureau. That's not surprising to me. Ed Vizzo was a journeyman electrician who did business with people who appreciated his one-on-one approach. He had plenty of loyal customers and others waiting in line. In fact, he died while working for a client. Felled by a heart attack in the kitchen. That person called 9-1-1 right away and administered CPR but he was gone.
I don't know his medical history but he had a stress test recently. His doctor told him that a surgery might be necessary in a couple of weeks, another stent perhaps.
If I were a young, thin, non-smoker who never drank alcohol, I might move on without much thought beyond the grief I feel for Elaine, Rainy, Jennifer and Jessica.
But that's not the case.
And so I'm studying this.
Thank you Eddie Vizzo.

No comments:
Post a Comment