Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I live on the wrong side of the tracks

I live in Germantown. When we moved here in 1998, the "real estate experts" shooed us away from Midtown or East Memphis.

"Shelby County Schools," they said. And because we were looking for a high school with a strong girls sports program (Carly played softball) we ended up in the shadow of G-town High. No McMansion ours. It's a modest mid-70's style ranch, built when the men in charge probably thought two bathrooms in a four bedroom house was one too many.

But I digress.

Railroad tracks divide the city and we live on the south side. But most of the closest stores are on the north side. So oftentimes we spend a little time, waiting for freight to pass by.

At around 8:20pm Tuesday, Dottie and I had to run to the drug store for a trifle and were on the north side when the crossing arms lowered.

I turned the engine off and patiently listened to the Cardinals (who were losing again) on the radio for about five minutes. As the train lumbered east, I notice in my rear view mirror, a large maroon SUV in the turning lane (on the left side) moving slowly closer to my car. I was about five vehicles back from the crossing bars when they raised up and the Incredibly Impatient Person Behind the Wheel sped up, passed me and pulled into my lane, cutting me off.

Unfortunately, I did not see his/her license plate. If I had, I would have reported him/her here.

I hate the railroad tracks but I hate rude drivers more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please start blogging again.