Saturday, August 12, 2006

Godspeed Tom

Tom Walter died today.

The CA called for a comment and yes, my quote was somewhat misconstrued. Whatever. Tom was a good guy who unfortunately never stepped a foot inside our newsroom. I think he wanted to write his columns from a pure viewer perspective but I always felt that he measured us against what he knew about newsrooms from a that of a print guy.

It's not the same.

But Tom's misunderstanding is not the issue today. He was a brilliant writer and a devoted partner to his wonderful wife, Sara. He was, surprisingly, an outdoorsman, who loved to hike and to see the outdoors. He told me wonderful tales of the trip he and Sara took to the Canadian Rockies.

Tom was a Chicagoan to the end but he embraced The South. I know he was writing a book. I hope I get to read it some day.

No comments: