Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Twenty-seven reasons!

Twenty-seven years ago today we promised we'd stay together. For richer, for poorer. In good times and bad.

There have been trials! But my annual accounting is never difficult.
  1. I love that you (we!) figured out to watch Netflix on our fancy TV without Charlie writing down each step. (Push the power button on the black remote....)
  2. I love your devotion to home decor--making sure every square inch of wall in our condo has something on it.
  3. I love going to Key West with you. We could go this weekend but I'm on call...
  4. I love tricking you into eating at Hibachi grills which I enjoy but you, not so much...until the food arrives.
  5. I love picking the trotters with you at the Pompano track.
  6. I love how you enjoy feeding squirrels who live in the trees outside our condo.
  7. I love it when you ask me if 70-degrees is cold enough weather for chili. It's not but we can turn up the AC and make it anyway.
  8. I love getting up first, making coffee, reading "your" paper (the Sun-Sentinel) until I don't hear you snoring anymore. That silence means it's time for me to start reading "my" paper (the Miami Herald).
  9. I love grocery shopping at Publix with you to see your eyes roll in mock disgust at the slowness of the elderly.
  10. I love how proud you are of down-sizing our storage to a manageable amount of stuff.
  11. I love our Friday night dinners at Rotelli's
  12. I love walking on the beach and picking up shells.
  13. I love when you take the shells we picked up on Sanibel, and plant them on the beach on our side of Florida and watch tourists pounce on them like treasure. 
  14. I love how you try to humanely trap the lizards on our deck so they don't get into the house.
  15. I love how you complain about getting up early for Dolphins tailgate gatherings but still manage to have fun anyway.
  16. I love that you insisted I spend New Year's Eve and Day with my family in Rochester, MN when Paula and Bob had the transplant surgery. You knew I wanted to go but that I was worried about the cost.
  17. I love that you will eat a meatless meal every once in awhile, without complaining.
  18. I love how irritated you get at the snowbirds.
  19. I love how you always answer your cell phone when my brother calls.
  20. I love how you keep trying to win the Powerball jackpot so I can retire. 
  21. I am amused by (and thus love) your aversion to sitting at a red light for a few minutes and your goofy detours to avoid that fate.
  22. I love that you bought us both bikes for Christmas which has led to delightful rides on Saturday and Sunday.
  23. Subsequently, I love that you tricked out my bicycle with a bell, cellphone holder, water bottle grip and a place for my keys.  Ding, ding! Here I come!
  24. I love how you drunkenly tried to write a message on a napkin at Irish Kevin's regarding your role in "Walk the Line."  And how you stayed in bed for most of the next day, recovering for the hangover.
  25. I love how you talk  r e a l l y  s l o w l y  to our South American neighbor who does not understand a word of English as if that will make it easier. Just smile and wave!
  26. Person of Interest! Blacklist ! House of Cards! I love watching certain TV shows with you!
  27. I love that you love sushi. Let's celebrate this anniversary with spicy, crunchy tuna. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE all 27 of these things!! I love that you wrote them down and I love that you celebrate every year as if it's your first anniversary. You are one couple that we look up to and hope we have as many happy years as you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.