Next week, I move to a day shift and will be the Managing Editor. Frankly, I'm thrilled. The past five months have been both challenging and so much fun. I've stretched brain cells that needed stretching.
I've learned that I'm probably not ever going to be a great Executive Producer!
It's a REALLY hard job and I have such an appreciation for anyone who works overnights. One of my talented co-workers, Constance Jones, told me early on that it changes you. And it does.
I found myself getting very anxious at around 4pm if I wasn't home so that I could get to bed by 6pm. Sometimes, when John and I were house-hunting, we would find ourselves in Broward County, stuck in traffic, late in the day. It really messed me up.
In the beginning I relied too heavily on Zzzzzquil. Followed by Monster or 5-Hour-Energy. Don't even go to that Viet Nam.
I made mistakes and most of the time, I learned from them.
News stories about how the lack-of-sleep effects always seemed to make it into the health segment of the newscast, probably the result of my own anxiety.
I experienced the AM/PM Freak Out--when you wake up from a nap and have no idea what day it is, let alone the time of day. And you think you missed your shift and you wonder why nobody called.
But the one thing that I wanted to happen, never did.
I still haven't learned to look at a rundown and see much more than a grid with hieroglyphics that I struggle to understand while my younger co-workers read them like Dick, Jane and Sally.
So this is a good thing. I'm looking forward to a new challenge. And to spending evenings with my husband rather than drooling into a pillow while he tries to be quiet in another room.
Life is good.

1 comment:
Awee-- We are going to miss you in the mornings!! :(
Post a Comment