Parenthood. Funny thing. This morning on my walk, my iPod on "shuffle," this Enya song came on and I started thinking about a part of the lyrics:
One by one my leaves fall.At 54, I'm staring mortality right in the face. My children, at 29 and 24 years, respectively, no longer need me (except for cash, sometimes).
One by one my tales are told.
Jacquelyn Mitchard wrote a book entitled "Deep End of the Ocean" that I read even before it got onto Oprah's hit parade. And because of that book, I bought another written by her. "The Rest of Us" is a compilation of her columns and on our recent trip to New Orleans, I re-read it on the plane.
Her description of parenthood goes like this:
"...our sons and daughters are only passing through. At first, they are of you, born to come to your arms. Rapidly, they are with you, pausing only long enough for you to dab a few hurried strokes of paint on the canvas they are becoming--they are on their way to belonging to themselves, and then to the world. If we are lucky, they always will consider our home their harbor, but they are headed out to the open sea, almost from the first."I still consider the farm six miles north of Wagner, SD my harbor. But which home, of the many we've had, will my children consider their harbor? Germantown? Kansas City? Somewhere else?
I wonder.

2 comments:
Thanks for sharing this, Peggy. I like to think that our harbour is not a place, it is people. Let's hope our children always find us no matter where we are. xx
Given the amazing relationship you have with your kids I have to agree with Kim. Wherever you are is where they'll call home!
Post a Comment