John and I returned from six days in New Orleans Wednesday night. It was a GREAT conference! It was the first iteration of a joint partnership between RTDNA and SPJ. A resounding success. We also included some meetings with other Scripps managers so I've returned to KC with my brain quite full.
You should start making your plans for the 2012 confab right now. September 20-22 in Fort Lauderdale.
Something happened at the airport yesterday that was disturbing. We dragged our bags to the Continental kiosks and proceeded to pay the usury. I heard a shrill voice at the counter and watched a woman thoroughly berate two airline employees. She was upset about the baggage fees and believed that she had already paid them. She apparently did not have the additional $25. She was told that she had to pay or she would not be allowed to fly.
"Do you know who I am?" she demanded. "Do you know what I can do about this?" She went on to shout that she was a journalist, that she had just finished attending a conference and that, upon her return home, she intended to write a story about her shabby treatment. She dropped two or three f-bombs.
To their credit, the Continental folks never lost their cool but I almost did. Journalism isn't to be used as a threat. I wanted to shake her.
Eventually, she called someone who provided a credit card to pay for the bag and she huffed off. Next time, I hope she flies Southwest or Jet Blue. And she has a lot to learn before she's a journalist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment