Sunday, October 31, 2010

Running with scissors (the spelling in this title was corrected; thanks M!)

 Danger!  Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I understand the desire to try new things but I think the KC Star attached itself to the wrong trend with its 3-D Halloween edition:
  • My focus group -- the bleary-eyed husband who was deep into the A-section when I asked him if he wanted to use the 3-D glasses.  He had no idea what I was talking about.
  • It took both hands to hold the paper glasses around the readers necessary to enhance the work of my bifocal contact lenses.  Handcuffed by the 3-D pictures, I couldn't drink my coffee.
  • The KC Star isn't "Avatar."  I paid the higher ticket price, donned the goofy specs and saw that movie in an IMAX theatre.  On purpose.  It's called "content."  Today's edition of the Star didn't have enough interesting material to drive me past the irritation of reading it.
The WSJ already weighed in on this tech trend, calling it "overdone."

And as this piece points out, a newspaper's strength is generally the words, not the pictures. 

No comments: